Tsu is the capital city of Mie Prefecture. It is famous for hot springs and also flourished as a post station town for pilgrimages. The area is bordered by Ise Bay on the Pacific Ocean to the east and Nara Prefecture to the west.
Tsu is a mainstay for both sightseeing and business. Here are some of the areas that play a significant role in the development of Mie Prefecture.
Tsu Castle, also known as “Anotsu-jō,” is a Japanese castle located in the area. It became a home to the Sudo clan during the Edo Period. The castle was started by Hosono Fujiatsu in 1558 but it was Oda Nobunaga, a powerful samurai warlord, who took control over it in 1568. He ordered his younger brother, Oda Nobukane, who greatly expanded the place in terms of size. Upon Nobukane’s transfer to Tamba Province, the castle was given to Tomita Nobuhiro.
In the later years, the castle became a city park which became a lovely place for strolling and viewing cherry blossom trees as well as pine trees.
Yuki shrine is a Shinto shrine founded in 1879. It is regarded as one of the Fifteen Shrines of the Kenmu Restoration. These are a group of Shinto shrines dedicated to individuals and events of the Kenmu Restoration, a name given to both the three-year period of Japanese history between Kamakura period and Muromachi period including the political events that took place. The shrine’s festival is held annually on May 1, 2 and 3.
Mie Prefectural Museum, opened in 1953, popularly known as “MieMu.” However, it closed in 2013 and a new site of the museum opened in the same year at the Tsu site. The visit can be complete if you go nearby the Mie Prefectural Art Museum. Here, you can find a collection of art with emphasis on yoga. There are also some number of pieces of Chinese calligraphy. The museum includes a garden space with modern art installations and cafes.
Mie Prefectural Museum*Japanese Only