Also known as “BeerFes,” the Great Japan Beer Festival is one of the largest beer festivals in the country which is held in five different cities. This 2017, BeerFes Osaka will be happening from July 14 to 16 at My Dome Osaka. Interested in this beer tasting and all-you-can-drink event? Check out its details!
— ビアフェス公式ツイッター (@beerfes) June 3, 2017
Organized by the Great Japan Beer Festival Osaka 2017 Executive Committee and the Craft Beer Association in Japan, BeerFes Osaka is a once-a-year opportunity to enjoy tasting beer produced by various craft breweries both in Japan and abroad.
“Craft beer” is a term used to define beers produced by small and independent commercial breweries. These craft breweries use the traditional method of brewing beers which emphasize and enhance the flavor and quality of their products.
During the opening night, on July 14, 2017, craft breweries from Hokkaido, Tohoku, Kanto, Kansai, and other regions of Japan, as well as international participants from Cambodia, the USA, Palestine, and Belgium, will be participating in this event. Each exhibitor has at least one to four beer brands that you can try.
On the second and third day of the event, according to the event’s list of exhibitors, the same exhibitors will be participating except for the breweries from Hokkaido and some from Tohoku regions, although the list may still be changed.
Some beer brands may not be familiar to you and may not be as famous as the beers produced by big-time brewing companies in Japan. Nonetheless, you can still enjoy beer of top-notch quality since dozens of them are Asia Beer Cup 2017 award winners. If you want to try these award-winning craft beers, here is a list of brands and their companies:
- OIRASE BEER Pilsner – OIRASE Brewery
- Alt and Pilsner – Tazawako Beer
- Sakura Yeast Beer, Weizenbock, Ushiku White, and Saison IPA – Chateau Kamiya
- Belgian White – Kobushi-hana Beer
- Schwarz and Pale Ale – IKSPIARI HARVESTMOON
- Hakone pils, Odawara ale, Harumeki pale ale, and Odawara lemon -Hakone Beer
- Weizen, Rauch, and Schwarz Weizen – Fujizakura Heights Beer
- Pale Ale, Stout, Imperial Red Ale, and Golden Dragon – Ise Kadoya Brewery
- Ichijoji Dry Stout – ICHIJYOJI BREWERY
- Robust Porter – BREWPUB TETARD VALLEE
- Awajirice pilsner – Awajibeer
- Blanche – Umenishiki Yamakawa Umenishiki Beer
Tickets for the opening night on July 14, 2017, can be purchased in advance for 3,600 yen. If you wish to buy a ticket during the event, door tickets are available at 4,000 yen. For the sessions on July 15 and 16, 2017, advance tickets are sold at 4,600 yen, while door tickets are available at 5,000 yen.
Please take note that once a ticket is purchased, changes and refunds cannot be done. Tickets must also be used on the specific date and time indicated.
Tickets are tax inclusive and include the entrance fee, one aroma glass for the beer tasting, and a 400-yen worth of food coupon. Aroma glasses with the BeerFes Osaka 2017 logo are to be given away to the first 500 visitors (first 200 on July 14, 2017), and the glasses after that will have regular designs. So if you want your aroma glass to have the logo, better purchase your tickets as early as possible. These glasses can be taken home by visitors as a souvenir item.
While some countries’ legal drinking age is at least 18 years old, in Japan, you must be 20 years old to be allowed admission into drinking events like this.
Tickets for BeerFes Osaka 2017 can be purchased at the following sites:
- Yahoo! PassMarket (Japanese only)
- Ticket PIA – July 14 (Japanese only) / July 15 and 16 (Japanese only)
- 7-Eleven – July 14 (Japanese only) / July 15 and 16 (Japanese only)
- eplus – July 14 (Japanese only) / July 15 and 16 (Japanese only)
- Lawson Ticket – July 14 (Japanese only) / July 15 and 16 (Japanese only)
If you love beer, head to My Dome Osaka and experience this annual event in the city. This is a chance to taste Japan’s finest craft beer in just one place. Enjoy and drink as much as you want as long as you won’t cause trouble when you get drunk, otherwise, you will be asked to leave.
・97 Things to Do in Osaka, the Japanese City of Street Food, Culture, and Comedy, in 2018
・30 of the Best Hotels in Osaka for a Fun and Fabulous Stay in 2018
・What to Buy in Osaka in 2018: 37 Souvenirs to Capture the Kansai Experience!