Budget plus Convenient Accommodation

Posted in: Accommodations

happychicka

Feb 23, 2016 at 7:53 PM

Hey! I’m traveling to Tokyo around late March/early April, anyone have some awesome tips or their own recommendations on which areas is the best in terms of convenience, easy on the budget, and nightlife?

(172.31.23.23)

Ninjoo

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:56 PM

In terms of nightlife and convenience you should try to stay close to either Shibuya or Shinjuku, but that can be pretty expensive. If you don’t mind taking the last train home when you go out late, you should try to stay at an airbnb or hostel/business hotel near the Toyoko line, like Gakugeidaigaku station or Toritsu Daigaku station, that is usually a lot cheaper than staying in Shibuya itself, but it is still easy to reach the nightlife districts from there.

(172.31.23.23)

ExaCtMaKe

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:45 PM

The Kichijoji area is pretty nice too. It’s easy to get to Shibuya and Shimokitazawa from there. It’s got a lot of shopping and restaurants and is just generally cute!

(172.31.2.245)

happychicka

Mar 8, 2016 at 7:57 PM

Hi Ninjoo and ExaCtMake, thanks so much for your responses! I’ve heard that there are several international parties that they hold every now and then in Tokyo. Is that true? Any idea where these are based, that may help me make my mind up even more.

However, I do want to mix and mingle with the local Japanese crowd too – from your own experiences, are the Japanese happy to casually chat over a drink with random foreigners? I don’t really want to offend anyone during my visit haha :)

(172.31.2.245)

ExaCtMaKe

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:53 PM

For international parties, they could be anywhere! haha It usually depends on the organizer. I would say they’re most likely in popular areas like Shinjuku, Shibuya, Roppongi, etc.

In my experience mixing with locals, it can be kind of terrifying for them if you approach them first. If I was in a bar with both locals and foreign residents/tourists and I let others come to me it was less awkward. Just beware of creepers!

(172.31.22.110)

happychicka

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:57 PM

haha fair enough, thanks heaps for the advice. Will keep an eye out for international parties while I’m there and try not to bother the locals too much :P

(172.31.1.188)

StanLee

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:45 PM

Hey! Nice question! I think others will benefit from this, too. Here are a few of my suggestions.

Budget: Youth hostels and capsule hotels. Avoid big names like Hilton, etc.
Food: Yoshinoya, Sukiya, Matsuya, kaiten zushi (conveyor belt sushi)
Things to do: plenty of free festivals year round, free parks, etc. If you want to go to karaoke, go in the daytime at weekends, it is only a few hundred yen. Avoid the cinema as it’s around 2000 yen per head.
Shopping: UNICLO and Forever21 are good shops. Also check out Harajuku’s Takeshita street (NOT at the weekend – it gets really crowded) for discount shops and bargains.

Hope that helps, and have an awesome time in Japan!

(172.31.19.52)
Reply To: Budget plus Convenient Accommodation
Your information: