Kamakura

Posted in: Travel

Hanna

May 11, 2016 at 3:54 PM

Has anyone been to Kamakura yet? I am going to be in Tokyo and Kyoto this summer, and I am wondering if it is worth traveling to Kamakura if Kyoto is also on the program? Is it really different or more of the same?

Thank you!

(172.31.12.105)

dashedboard

May 11, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Kamakura is really beautiful! The sights there could be a little similar to Kyoto but they’re still very unique! For instance the famous Buddha is quite different and there’s a beach! I loved it but it may take a whole day to look around the city itself as it is a little bit far from central Tokyo.

(172.31.24.211)

gecko

May 18, 2016 at 6:53 PM

It may depend on how shrined out you are from Kyoto as well! Kamakura is a nice place, but if you’re looking to do a lot of the same stuff in both cities, it might be easier to skip Kamakura and see more of Tokyo.

(172.31.12.105)

Gula232

May 27, 2016 at 3:47 PM

It is true that people go to Kamakura especially to see temples, but if you plan your day in advance, you can make sure you visit only the ones that are unique. I went to Kamakura myself several times, and this is what impressed me most:

-Hokokuji temple, the bamboo forest in the garden here is so beautiful and peaceful
-Hasedera temple, the garden here is so neat, and there is a path all the way in the back upstairs from where you can see a great view and the statue is impressive
-Zeniarai benten shrine, this is where you can wash your money so it will be multiplied or so they say, quite an interesting place
-go to the beach in the summer, there is a great vibe and nice pop up restaurants
-visit Enoshima if you have time, it’s a very romantic place!

Have fun, it is one of my favorite places in Japan!

(172.31.24.211)

dashedboard

May 27, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Ohh right! Enoshima is super fun. :) It’s worth a trip!

(172.31.24.211)

Arash

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:10 PM

Hi all, You can read all about Kamakura on this page and judge for yourself. It’s a day trip from Tokyo and it’s nice.

http://www.halalinjapan.com/kamakura-home-of-the-samurai.html

(172.31.12.105)

Enna

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:45 PM

I definitely recommend going to Kamakura, the good part is also that it is just a short train ride away straight from Shinjuku. And it is a great break from busy Tokyo, nice and green, and next to the ocean.

(172.31.24.211)

Rohan

Sep 15, 2016 at 5:56 PM

There is also a temple on the east side of the Hachiman Jingu (main temple) that is worth the trip, with a very beautiful backdrop, it is called Kenchoji.

(172.31.24.211)

beex4

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:27 AM

You can do a day trip to Kamakura from Tokyo, so you can count it as one of your ‘Tokyo’ days. It’s really nice, as the people above have said it’s got giant Buddha, nice views of Mt. Fuji and some great hiking. Winter season is a great time to go because it’s so clear and beautiful.

(172.31.9.168)

Ben

Mar 2, 2017 at 5:08 PM

Hi Hanna! (Or anyone else looking for info on Kamakura)

I would say Kamakura and the surrounding areas are definitely worth a visit. As well as the great things to do at Kamakura, you’re not far from lots of nice seaside including a cute little town called Shichirigahama which has an amazing view of Mount Fuji from the beach!!

(172.31.3.224)

Anna

Apr 7, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Hey Hanna!

I definitely think Kamakura’s worth a visit. Since it’s next to the coast, you can find lots of beaches nearby as well. Have a search around and you’re sure to find some quiet places, especially if you hop on the train a bit further down the coast. Obviously it’s nice in summer when you can appreciate the good weather but you can also sometimes get views of Mount Fuji, which you’re more likely to see in winter!

Have fun

(172.31.3.224)
Reply To: Kamakura
Your information: