Foreigners living in Japan to receive the ¥100,000 coronavirus financial support from the Japanese government

  • HOW TO
  • LIVE and WORK
  • VISA
  • WORK
  • As the COVID-19 pandemic wreaks havoc on life and work, governments are coming up with ways to support citizens through the difficult times. In Japan, the government will give a flat (as of now, one time payment) of ¥100,000 ($930) per person. Foreigners legally living in Japan can also receive this government benefit. The ¥100,000 replaces an earlier plan to give ¥300,000 to households that will suffer a big drop in income because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

    Who is eligible for the ¥100,000?

    In addition to Japanese citizens, foreign residents of Japan are eligible too. If you are a foreigner who has a residence status of more than three months and has reported residency as of April 27, 2020, you can receive ¥100,000 yen per person.

    To learn more about the registration of foreigners of Japan the personal tax number system, click the link below.

    Basic Resident Registration System for Foreign Residents

    How to Apply?

    There are two options to apply for the financial support, by mail or online.

    Postal mail application method

    First, you will receive an application form at your home from the municipality where you have a certificate of residence.
    When you get your application, fill out the application form (fill in all family’s names, date of birth, address, and bank account number in your name).
    Then, copy the documents that can confirm that – 1) the bank account (Copy of a bankbook, cash card or printed screen of an online banking service which shows the name of the financial institution, account number and the name of account holder) & 2) the identification documents (Copy of your My Number Card, driver’s license, or health insurance card etc.)
    Send back the filled in application and supporting documents.

    If you are part of a family, the head of the household must apply for the entire family. (In Japan, one member must be designated the head of the household). This means that the benefits would be transferred together for the whole family (while still being 100,000 yen per person).

    How to fill out the application form?

    Here’s a sample of how the draft form looks like and English translations of the important parts. (Note that this may differ from the actual form.)

    Online application method

    If you have a My Number card, you can apply online (from the MynaPortal website) as well.


    In this case, you need the bank account information only and you don’t need to prepare the identification documents. However, you will need a plastic My Number card and a card reading app.

    When will you receive the money?

    The whole process is scheduled to run from May 2020, but it depends on each municipal office. You need to apply within three months of the date of the start of applications.
    As new information emerges, we will be updating this article.

    For more information, you can also check this source:

    Special Fixed-sum Cash Benefit Program: 0120-260020 (from May 2 onwards)*Guidelines in 10 languages including English, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Indonesian available here.

    *Featured Image from AC photo
    : AC photo/