Job interview manners for foreigners

Posted in: How to & manners

Fiona

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:56 PM

I was wondering if anyone on here has had experience with job interviews in Japan already? I live here, and after studying Japanese for a year I am planning to look for a serious job that could hopefully sponsor my visa. It will probably not be a hardcore Japanese company, but at least a company with some branches abroad as well. What are the things I should be careful about?

(172.31.12.105)

LadyGG

Apr 22, 2016 at 3:55 PM

It depends a little on the company but I would probably play it safe and err on the cautious side. What’s important is to always wear an appropriate ‘interview suit’ (black or dark blue), use sonkeigo (super polite language) as much as you can, and especially listen well to what’s being said. Also, try to sit with a straight back, it seems that that is deemed important in Japan, especially when trying to come across in a polite way.
Good luck!

(172.31.24.211)

Milano

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:41 PM

Agree that looking the part is half the battle! If it’s a real Japanese interview you’ll need to look almost exactly the same as everyone else. It’s probably better to answer the (sometimes odd) questions as nicely as you can, making sure you can understand the hidden meaning in them!

(172.31.12.105)

Elly

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:54 PM

Not sure if anyone is still in this thread, but does anyone have any tips on second interviews (these usually involve higher ups in the company). A friend of mine is pretty nervous about his second interview and isn’t sure exactly what to prepare.

(172.31.12.105)

mainsail

Jun 6, 2016 at 6:36 PM

Elly,

I’ve heard knowing general info about the company is good, like the president’s name, how old the company is, etc.

(172.31.24.211)

Elly

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:48 PM

Thanks, mainsail! Funnily enough the second interview seemed pretty similar to the first, but with more detail according to my friend. haha I guess it really does depend on the place.

(172.31.12.105)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.